April is National Poetry Month for the Academy of American Poets it was inaugurated in April of 1996 and wants to:
- Bring attention to the Art of Poetry,
- Bring attention to living Poets,
- Bring attention to Poetic Heritage, and
- Is inspired by the Black History Month (February), Women’s History Month (March).
One of the goals of the Academy of American Poets for National Poetry Month every April is to make poetry a more important part of the school curriculum and increase public and private philanthropic support for poets and poetry.
For beginner poets from the Academy of American Poets go to:
- http://www.poets.org Poetry 101